Monday 17 October 2011

Results, Cold Weather paste fishing - Hallcroft, Reed pool

So continuing on with the cold weather paste fishing.

...and what better way to prove that paste works in the colder months than commiting to it in a match?:)

I drew peg 13 which incidently is one of my most prefered pegs on the pool. Its a pretty no brainer peg. Margin to the left of you 2 feet of the bank is a legde which goes from 1 to 2 feet. I always fish at the bottom of this just out side of a bush. 6m and 11m line on the smaller ledges. The 6m line is always my fav, the 11m line just being a negative peg which isnt fed at all and is purely a get out of jail card and sort of an insurance policy.

My rigs for this type of weather with paste is basically the same apart from the line. Which i tend to just go above the 4lb mark adapted to a 13h elastic. Its a little light for the size of the fish i was targeting today 10 - 16lb region, but i wanted to get every fish out and there is a very high chance of getting the odd bream and chub so its a fish for and get every fish out method. I still use the same mix as previously posted but i just use a smaller cup as to avoid over feeding and leave it in to a max of 30 minutes, but i still fill the cup up. I didnt change anything else throughout the day. I still filled in the margin shelf with pellets and even decided to feed small balls of paste whilst i was fishing the other lines.

It wasnt long before i was into a nice lump. Played it steady but comfortably on the 13h elastic and it some came to the net and it was a lovely sized mirror, around the 15lb mark. Shortly followed by another 2 of the same size. But then it went dead for some time. Around an hour or so. I still plugged away on my 6m and 11m line and decided to go all out for the margins at half past 1. It did pay off. I had 3 fish for 30lb within 45 minutes and by the last hour i was getting one every 20 minutes biggest being a common of 19lb.

The day ended great. Its a shame it was a match as i would of liked to get a few pictures for you. I ended up in first place with 146lb with carp and 2 bream. It was a succesful day and a very good endorsement of winter paste fishing.

See you soon.

Nathan @Fish4Thought