Thursday 1 December 2011

Loversall Practice session

Hi Folks,

So as you may know, I have decided to have a look else where for my matches now. Just for the winter though. I had a few in mind but i have chosen a couple. My old haunt wetlands and a fairly new venue called Loversall Lakes.

I decided to go for a Trip to Loversall today. Just try to it out as i haven't fished it before. On first sights of the venue i really did like what i was seeing. It is a fairly new venue (around 3 years) and i was expecting to see it slightly more established but it was still in the first phase of vegetation establishment, but i still gave it a go!

I chose to fish a peg which had the end of an island infront of it.

Pretty much a dead-cert to have a good line to fish to on this peg. I opted to set up a Margin, 6m, 11m and 16m line 16m line was basically to the island but i set up a bomb and feeder rod too. Bomb rod was a insurance policy with just .6 bottom on which would have been fished with a B510 20 with a single red.

Plumbing up i shipped out a feet at a time just to try and find the odd ledge but there just wasnt on that i could find. It was constructed as a bowl and the margins were only around 5 inch deep so that was out of the question. I did decide to fish a line at the deepest part of the bed (Around 7m), a line to the island (Bottom of the shelf around 15m) and the last on to the island more or less flush with it (16m).

My Rigs were as follows:

7m line: I only had around 4ft depth here. So i opted to TRY and start off with a .3 PB22 onto .11 with .8 hook length  finished off with an 18 B911. This was going to be fished as close to dead depth as i could manage with dead reds. (Feeding 2mm pellets). Shotting pattern was just a bulk of shot around 5 inch away from the hook. I wanted to try some bait i had been given to field test which is a new pellet currently coming into the market called "FP1" (£5.50) courtesy of www.Talkangling.co.uk so i decided to use this line to do so - So i made a duplicate rig with a PR24 16.

15m line: As above but as i was fishing further out i decided to go to a .5PB22 rather than the smaller one. I was going to use this line to fish choppy too. So i opted for a bulk of No.8 shot with 2 x No.10's used as droppers - last one 3 inch away from the hook.

16m line: When i plumbed this line up i only had around 2 ft, i wasn't really sure to bother or not but i decided just in case it was best. As i didn't really know the venue at all. I opted for my classic shallow choice of the Colmic Goldie .2g which is ideal for far bank and margin situations. Same spec line and hook above. I was going to try to fish choppy on this line. But left the idea open to try any bait on it. Especially the FP1's. So i tied a duplicate as above, again with a PR24 16.

I planned on fishing all the above with 9h as i wasn't sure what i was going to get at all!

Bomb line: I did set this up mainly on the thought of fishing over the 16m line with a single larger bait on or single red, dependent on what my first bites came out with. Fishing a tiny bomb. Around the size of an SSG shot on my super light Silstar Match Picker. This was more insurance than anything.

Feeder line: Nothing fancy, tiny themsley ground bait feeder with a small tail of around 1.5ft. Which was going to be fishing with choppy just to the edge of the island with a 50/50 mix of Bream 3000 and Brown crumb.. Again this would be treated as a back up.

So it was time to fish!

I started off with a mix of 2m and 4m sizes pellets. (Venues pellets) - but coated in my own special stuff:). Never use cups this time of year, as i think it encourages you to feed to much so a TINY kinder type cup was used. One cup only. Straight out to the marker @ 7m. I decided to start the day off just fishing double dead red and waiting to see what came out.

Well after around 20 minutes i hadn't had a slight indication at all! I decided to feed the peg again then switch to my 15m line. Going as the same rule again with just a small pop of bait (Demolished worms,. just like soup with 30% caster (to keep the perch away!). I fished the rig with 2 small pieces of worm. 

It wasn't long before i was into a small carp (around a 1lb) followed by around 10 more within the space of an hour or so. I didn't to bag up today. I just wanted to see what all the difference line were like so i decided to go on to 15m. Unfortunately by the time this came around the wind was pretty much Gale force! So i decided to go to my 6m line.

I gave it 5 minutes on the dead reds, but i just couldnt get anything to produce. So feed a little more of my mix then opted to fish the 5m FP1 in the Mello Flavour (Nice and Sweet!).

After about ten minutes i started to get a few knocks. Then it went shooting under! result was a nice 3lb mirror. After around an hour of so they started to role in after not so much time. Around 5 minutes a fish which is pretty good for this time of the year so the FP1 made a difference for me.

Well i reckon id have got around 25lb  of carp. Obviously this was only my first visit and was gained by using two methods only. I'm pleased i tried the FP1's today though and i'll be doing a full review on them Tomorrow at the Grange in Scunthorpe.


Check in on monday for a full FP1 Review!:).


Cheers!

Nate@Fish4Thought