Sunday 28 August 2011

Previous Wednesday - Langold Lake.











I'd always been attracted to Langold lake and the hard yet good fishing it offered. It offers a break from 100lb plus commercial nets and offers the very much needed hit of bream i craved. As above, it wasn't exactly bream weather but to be honest, 'the wall' seems to always fish pretty well as long as you can get far enough out on the Float/Pole, although i dont dismiss the feeder on some of the wall pegs.

My plan of action was a simple and finely tuned approach which works time and time again on this venue. It Consists of 3 specific items.


1: Ground Bait - I use a particular G/B mix and i ALWAYS ball it in. I have had much success using Bream & Roach 3000 from the guys at Sensas on a 1,1,2 Ratio with Brown Crumb. Be careful with Roach 3000 though, its always good to mix this the night before on some occasions as it does have floating particles, hence its used for roach, but i also like the softness, texture and sweetness for bream. *Note i do not use Brasem*.




DONT forget the most important ingredient. Good old Fashioned Brown Crumb.

To get the right consistency you should add little water and often.

No Whisks here! Good old Fashioned Hands, mix in a 'pinching' motion. Unlike my feeder fishing, I;m not overly worried about having a fluffy texture.


Then add your worms (About 1cm long!)


Then add your Perch Deterant - Casters! Then mix again.

Next - Make them into balls. Dont be shy with the size. They're not called baby heads for nothing.

2: Hook Bait - Worms, worms and more worms! It has to be the best bait for just about every species out there. Add a caster or few and you can target specific species. A lot of people now a days seem to clean their worms in water but i prefer the good old fashioned method.
A Simple Riggle in a riddle does the Job!

In my personal experience i find it an advantage on some Bream locations to leave some soil in, it acts like Leam on some occasions and only adds to the attractant of the worms by oozing the juices.


Next, give them a good chopping. Don't mush them up to much, i like to give em around 1cm in length so it still leaves me a chance to fish a long or short bait. I also feed the same size as i fish on the hook. Targeting Bream in a water like Langold Lake with worm as a hook bait requires some measures to avoid the population of Perch! A simple Worm and Caster approach should suffice for most of the time.

Yum, Could have it on Toast!

3: Getting fishing! Prior to any fishing on the Lake, i always spend time Plumbing up. On several Pegs of the lake it can drop to 20ft around 4m out. So its good to have a plump prior to putting any bait in. Today i fished peg 64. Which is just off a corner of the wall which is rarely fished. Partly because of the weed. Its easily over come if you are capable of fishing @ 14m+ on a pole though.

On the day i found a spot around 14m or so out. I found ft drop to some water around 6ft or so deep. I chose this purely because of the ledge. Time to bait up!

I tend to just lay my pole flat on the water when i bait up by my self, as i do not tend to use the "claw" attachments you get in various adaptions. I however, had a helper today to sit on my pole! (Thanks Katie!).



Nice and Precise!:).
So we have sort all our bases out. Its time to get catching some fish.


I was in within  30 Seconds.



First catch of the day 1lb+ battered bream!


I got in undated with skimmers this size!
I was beginning to think that it may of been the calm weather and the heat that put the better ones off today. I'd think i did manage to get somewhere around the 40lb Mark of Skimmers and Bream in 6 hours.
A couple of 4lbs came out!

Hopefully when it starts to cool off a bit i'll have a few more to show you. But just for a hint, if you are fishing a venue for bream like Langold Lake. It can pay to ball in every 2 hours. It very rarely puts the fish off, depending on population obviously.

That concludes my Monthly Bream hit, Its back to the commercials i go, I'll show you some rigs and the basics such as Elastic and Line strengths which i recommend for open water bream fishing next month.

Cheers,

Nathan